a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog
<

In the excerpt from Julia Watson’s “Autographic Disclosures and Genealogies of Desire in Alison Bechdel’s Fun Home,” she makes the claim that  Fun Homeis auto-graphic and is thus difficult to accept it as autobiography. This is because auto graphics such as Bechdels contains cartoons. She says “disjunctions between the cartoon panel and the verbal text” making the claim that sometimes the cartoons do not portray the same things that words portray and even saying that words are better then cartoons.

I agree with Watson when she says that text is sometime better then graphics in order for one to understand and assume what they feel is right and ment by the author, while at the same time I also think that in some matter pictures are better then words. There is a saying “a picture is a thousand words” or something along those lines, thus somethings that words express can only be seen through pictures altough I believe the room left by text for ones own interpretation is a lot better.

November 10th, 2010 at 4:26 pm

6 Responses to “Fun Home”
  1. 1
      justinesiebuhr says:

I totally agree with you, and I like that you added the quote “a picture is a thousand words”. I think that this quote really sums up the idea behind Bechdel putting the illustrations in her piece. I also like that you put taht somethings cannot be expressed in words. I think that this is also true, and that both the pictures and the words work well together to tell Bechdel’s story.

2. 2

ludicrousgimmic67.jigsy.com

English Seminar

3. 3
      trading styles says:

trading styles

4. 4
      google spam says:

google spam

English Seminar » Fun Home

5. 5

help me write a paper

English Seminar

6. 6

how to get someone to write a book for you

English Seminar